Graphic design is all about communicating visually via lettering, pictures, space and colors. It’s a wonderful means of self-expression and it’s also a fulfilling career pathway for many people. Without further ado, let’s discuss some things to think about as you prepare to purchase a laptop for graphic design…
In general, graphic designers choose laptops which are higher-end than the usual. They need extra oomph in order to meet the needs of these types of design professionals! Popular forms of graphic design software which are run on these laptops include CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator, InDesign and Adobe Photoshop. Obviously, laptops need enough power and memory to run these programs perfectly.
- Best Laptop for Graphic Design
- How to Choose a Laptop for Graphic Designers
- #1. Apple MacBook Pro MGXC2LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop
- #2. Asus F555LA-AB31 15.6-Inch Laptop
- #3. Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6 Full HD, Intel i5
- #4. Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK
- #5. Acer Predator 17 G9-791-78CE
Best Laptop for Graphic Design
How to Choose a Laptop for Graphic Designers
1.) Random-Access Memory (RAM)
It’s vital to choose a laptop which has sufficient random-access memory, or RAM for short. With this in mind, make sure that any laptop you’re looking at has at last four gigabytes of RAM. Even more RAM is better, but you’ll need a minimum of 4GB in order to ensure that you’re programs run efficiently.
2.) Look for a Capable Video Card
The quality and capability of a laptop’s video card will be an important consideration. While RAM is probably more important overall, we do recommend choosing a laptop for graphic design which comes with a great video card.
3.) Central Processing Unit
A central processing unit is a laptop component which is also known as a CPU. When shopping around, look for laptop processors which offer at least four cores. Examples of processors which are powerful enough to provide premium performance to graphic designers include Intel Core i5, Intel Core i7 and Haswell, so keep an eye out for these processors when you’re reading product details and specifications online.
4.) Monitor Dimensions
It’s important to buy a laptop with a monitor that is large enough to display everything that you want to see. This is why we recommend going bigger. For example, if you choose a smaller display screen, such as one which measures thirteen inches, you may find that it’s just not adequate for your needs! For best results, select a laptop with a monitor which measures fifteen inches or is even bigger.
5.) The Laptop Should be Easy to Move Around
Technological advancements mean that newer laptops are much lighter than previous models. As well, they offer longer battery life, which means fewer charges. These newer laptops are very portable and this is great. How light your laptop needs to be really depends on how you typically work. Some people won’t wont to move their computers around as much as others do. If you’re interested in working from an array of locations, looking for a design which is very light in weight will be smart.
6.) Seek Out Superb Color Clarity
To find a laptop which offers great color clarity and “trueness”, be sure to check out models with ISP displays. Models that do have these features are the gold standard for superior color resolution. Luckily, they are pretty easy to find.
How to Comparison-shop Online
Now that you know the most important features, consider your online shopping strategy. It has to be said that Apple laptops are the preferred choices of many successful graphic designers. If you think that you can afford an Apple design, you may want to start your hunt for a laptop at the official Apple website. However, Apple isn’t the only option. We’ve mentioned the brand because its laptops do tend to be found at graphic design firms worldwide and a lot of independent graphic artists love them, too.
In general, you should compare at least five laptops from different manufacturers. Think about the elements that we discussed earlier and see which laptop styles are most appropriate for your needs. Also, look at customer reviews. You’ll learn so much by reading what other people have to say about their experiences with certain models. Just remember that you don’t need to spend a fortune to get a nice piece of technology, our top affordable laptop guides shows that even around the $500 mark has great models.
Lastly, once you’ve narrowed the field a bit, be sure to compare prices at three or four online suppliers. It’s always nice to get a great price on a wonderful new laptop.
As well, look at warranty information. Some laptops have stronger warranties than others. The longer, stronger warranty is the most useful. However, you may have the option of paying more in order to get a longer warranty.
Hopefully, our guide has covered all of the bases. Now, you’re ready to find the perfect laptop for graphic design!
#1. Apple MacBook Pro MGXC2LL/A 15.4-Inch Laptop
- 2.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.7 GHz, 6 MB shared L3 cache)
- 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM; 512 GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
- 15.4-inch IPS Retina Display, 2880-by-1800 resolution
- Intel Iris Pro and NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics
- OS X Yosemite
#2. Asus F555LA-AB31 15.6-Inch Laptop
- 15.6-Inch Full HD (1920*1080) provides more clarity and sharp visual experience on video, photo and games
- Powerful 5th-generation Intel Core i3-5010U 2.1GHz, Broadwell.
- Ergonomically designed keyboard with IceCool technology keeps the palm rest at a comfort temperature
- 4GB RAM/ 500GB 5400RPM with DL DVD±RW/CD-RW. Feature 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x HDMI and VGA ports.
- Equipped WiFi 802.11ac. This is almost 3x faster than the typical 802.11n
- 1 year International Warranty with 1 year Accidental Damage Protection
#3. Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6 Full HD, Intel i5
- 6th Generation Intel Core i5-6200U Processor (Up to 2.8GHz)
- 15.6-inch Full HD Display, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX with 2GB DDR5 VRAM
- 8GB DDR4 Memory, 256GB SSD
- Windows 10 Home; Backlit Keyboard
- Up to 12-hours Battery Life; 6-cell Li-Ion (2800 mAh) Battery
#4. Dell Inspiron i7559-2512BLK
- Intel Quad Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB GDDR5
- 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM
- 1 TB HDD + 8 GB SSD Hybrid Drive Storage; Optical Drive Not included
- 15.6 Inch FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) LED-lit Truelife Screen
- Windows 10 Operating System; Matte Black featuring Red Chassis
#5. Acer Predator 17 G9-791-78CE
- Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6 GHz (6 MB Cache)
- 16GB DDR4 Dual-Channel Memory
- 1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive, 256GB Solid-State Drive
- 17.3-inch Full HD Screen, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M with 4GB GDDR5 VRAM
- Windows 10 Home, Up to 5.5-hour battery life